Nexology Community

Go Back   Nexology Community > Support Zone > Server and Policy Issues > Plesk Linux Servers

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
HaveANiceDay

FYI- East Coast in Snow/Ice Storm

Just an FYI- the east coast here in the US, and hence New Jersey where the datacenter is located, is getting slammed pretty good today, tonight, and tomorrow in snow/ice/snow storm. The ice is to hit tonight and good be pretty bad.

I only mention this as power at datacenter, and incoming components, may be a bit off/on over this time period...

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." -- Bill Cosby

MiddleGround | MGWebDomains.com | MGWebDomains.net

"With the Heart and Mind united in a single Perfect Sphere." (Neil Peart)
middleground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Lost Soul

Yep supposed to be up here tonight.

They say we are going to get 12 to 18. [ At least it will warm up a bit

L
Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
Tree Climber

Can't imagine how you folks live in that cold cold weather! Saw that Oswego NY is up to 100 inches of snow over the last week. I can't even imagine!

Hope you're all inside and warm.
islandroutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:55 AM   #4

Mike told me yesterday that they had quite a lot of snow as well.

The climate is really awkward. We used to have snow all winter, this year we had like 2 inches for one day and that was it.

Yet is snowed in parts of the world that haven't seen snow for hundreds of years.
lorandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
HN Dinosaur

We have only gotten a couple of inches on a couple of occasions this year, we did get about an inch of ice with this storm then 2 inches of snow on top of that, but February has been bitterly cold for us, no one around here can remember when this month has ever been this cold. The high today is suppose to be 14 F. and the whole month has been like this.

There is an old saying "It thaws everyday in February", I have heard that all of my life and it is usually true but not this year, so far it has only thawed two days and that was during this storm.

Actions speak louder than Social Media Updates.
Pinsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
HaveANiceDay

Miserable here- 4-5 inches snow, then 1-2 inches of sleet, then finally another 1-2 inches of snow on top of that. Luckily I did my shoveling in the brief time it warmed up and was mostly slush (but damn heavy, hard on the back)..

Been a bit cold here lately as well, a lot of single digits without wind chills. Cold by south-central PA standards.

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." -- Bill Cosby

Old 02-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
Tree Climber

Did you all see that crash in Pennsylvania yesterday? I think they said some trucks slid off the road and then one crash happened after another.

Hope nobody lives near there (MG, was it near where you live?). I had the news on an hour ago and they were still trying to figure out how to get cars off the road. I thought I heard it was backed up for 40 miles...I can't even fathom how many cars that is!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
HaveANiceDay

Not sure exactly where the wreck was, but pretty awesome video from the cop car camera. There is a big stretch, some 40 miles as you noted, of I-78 shutdown. Backed up the whole way..

We got hit so fast with the snow, then the ice, that our wonderful road crews could not keep up. End result- trucks stuck, and then just cascaded back. Some people been stuck there for over 24 hours. National Guard, whats left after AI's sending them all to Iraq, are giving people gas/food. I think they just said on local news only a couple dozen trucks still stuck on the hills. Then they have to treat the section of highway before it opens again...sometime tomorrow.

I tell you, this was a major mess around here. Our development finally saw the first plow yesterday around 3:00pm. But by then what they threw back into the driveway was solid ice. Harrisburg, the PA capital, stated before the storm they only had funds for a storm of less than 6 inches...what a joke.

Times like this- when National Guard and government services are required that one realizes this country is in big trouble. We cannot even seem to take care of our own anymore. Don't get me wrong, nothing in comparison to the other disasters around the country... But GW (ie. the AI) needs to get a clue about where the priorities should be...

Old 02-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #9
Web Designer

We got a bit of snow here as well. Most the light fluffy kind. There was also talk of closing quite a bit of I-80 as well. Backups after such a powerful snow storm that dumped much of the powder over a short period on Valentine's day.

Michael Mann Desktop Publishing
Me On the Net: Facebook | Twitter
MikeMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:15 AM   #10
Tree Climber

This might seem like a dumb questions, but what do you all do when it snows so much? Can you go to work or are stuck at home?

I guess if you were creative, you could do something like this:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251845,00.html